Wednesday 28 October 2009

Not much deeper down the rabbithole

The last few nights my sleep has been especially deep, and I have not had a single dream I can remember. To some extent this is good news of course, but if you are working on dream recollection and trying to induce lucid dreams, it is not exactly helpful. So how do I continue this? I am planning to try and meditate myself into trance later today, and will let you know what happened there.

But it seems there are little helpers to aid the oncoming of lucid dreaming, which I have just become aware of. A low dose of psilocybin containing mushrooms is said to do the trick, but there are also legal alternatives: silene capensis, or African Dream Root, is said to be consumed in West Africa, Calea Zacatechichi is another natural substance from the Americas and African Dream Herb (entada rheedii) is spread across the Indian Ocean. What these three substances seem to have in common is that they are taken to induce lucid dreaming, but have little effect (although some seems to be present when reading the reports) in waking state.

I also mentioned holotropic breathing in my last post. There are other breathing techniques too to alter consciousness, one is Tuvan throat singing, which reminds me a bit of overtone singing, but isn't exactly it. Another would be practicing circular breathing with a didgeridoo for a period of time.

So, summing up, the possibilities abound, and it is not necessary to break the law (quite yet). Also: the road is a long one. Life is so easy, but the psyche is complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment